Thursday, December 27, 2012

Why I chose the Moving Business.....Cheri

From Cheri Childs, owner of Silicon Valley Moving in CA and past agent of the month...



I was introduced to the moving business by my husband Joe.  In 1990, Joe started Elite Moving with a old 1968 International straight truck.  His first truck was purchased from my father, who was President of our family owned trucking company, Pozas Bros Trucking.  During Elite’s infancy, I ran the office while attending college.  I used to make frequent box deliveries to our local customers, then learned the sales and estimating aspects of the business.  This is what I love!!  I enjoy meeting people, conversing about their family and connecting with them especially when moving is such a personal service.   As the company grew, we changed the business name to Silicon Valley Moving & Storage and became an Agent for Arpin Van Lines in 2002.

As an owner of a small business many hats are worn which means every day is different and can sometimes bring new challenges.  I have grown from the challenges and have learned to be pro-active and prepare for plan “B” to avoid any pitfalls. I recall an office move for one of our local Fortune 500 customers.  The plan was to move approximately 200 employees in three phases over a period of three months.  At the last minute, we were requested to move all employees within a single day and starting after 5 pm.  Given a single day’s notice, we were able to successfully accomplish this by pulling additional labor from different sources.  It was stressful pulling it all together but was able to do so from past experience and being creative.  The move went fantastic and our account was extremely happy.

Cheri Childs is co-owner of Silicon Valley Moving & Storage, a nationwide and International provider of moving and storage services located in San Jose, California. www.siliconvalleymoving.com

No comments: