Friday, December 21, 2012

Why did you choose the Moving Business? Elite Driver from CA...Dana Query


From our Elite driver and professional mover Dana Query....

1)      Why did you choose the moving business?

      Although I believe the moving business chose me, the process, much to my surprise, has been extremely satisfying. From the unique challenges, the personal relationships and the travel, this industry has fulfilled most of my career objectives.

       I began my career at the urging of my wife, Linda. When we started dating nearly 40 years ago she was working at the corporate level for a major van line.          The next several years she exposed me to the many facets of the industry, while I continued to work at my outside sales career. We developed numerous friends, from drivers to van line presidents, and I loved to hear the stories told by all.                                                   

      As an outside salesman I began a romance with big trucks. I received my CDL, and soon an opportunity appeared, I was asked to ride and help drive with a friend. His truck had unexpectedly broken down in Los Angeles and when repairs were finished, he had only two days to deliver a national account in Atlanta. He explained to me that professional drivers always deliver on time. We did  arrive on time, delivered the shipment and I hopped a plane home. That was all it took, left my sales job, bought a truck and went to work. 


     What has been your most challenging move to date? and

    What were the greatest challenges during the move and how did you overcome them?

      There was one event that had a profound impact on my career. When my father retired years ago, he and my mother decided to move to Northern California. Not being in a position to perform their move, they chose a nationally recognized carrier. The move didn't go well. Several days after the move, I had a chance to visit my parents new home and help them settle in. 

     The next few days my mother  pointed out the damage to her furniture,  packing breakage and rubs, marks and scratches on walls, floors and doors. She stated that all could be repaired or replaced, but what bothered her most was how impersonal the movers were and the emptiness she felt. 

     At that moment I realized that as a service provider, my services were of the most personal kind. I then made every effort to treat my customers better and became more kind, understanding and personable. 

      A professional mover today is challenged in a variety of ways, many the same as years past, but make no mistake, our biggest challenge is our customers. They have a much better understanding of our industry, have greater expectations and have the use of digital information at their fingertips.

      I remind myself each time I prepare to perform a move that I'm not only moving a customer's belongings, I'm moving them also. If it was easy I wouldn't have a job, they could move themselves. Just gotta love it.

1 comment: