Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why did you choose the moving Business?...CJ

Why did you choose the Moving Business??...Driver of the month from East County Movers in CA...CJ Goodrich

1)      Why did you choose the moving business?


In my other life I was a SCUBA instructor trainer, I lived in Hawaii and last year in Fiji. When I returned to the United States I was staying with my friend Thomas McCarthy owner of East County Moving. He asked me if I wanted to work in sales or go on the road. I chose going on the road as it suited my idea of an enjoyable career. I had already been in sales in a few different industries. 

Over the next 5 months Thomas taught me how to drive a semi and I earned my class A drivers license. He also took the time to train me in packing, loading, paperwork and as much as was possible in a short 5 months. In a nutshell I guess the moving business chose me and I feel lucky that it did.

 
    What has been your most challenging move to date? and
 What were the greatest challenges during the move and how did you overcome them?


My most challenging move in my first year was a shipment I picked up from a warehouse in California and delivered to a residence in San Antonio, Texas. I was aware that I would need to shuttle the 10,000# shipment so I secured a shuttle truck and arranged for two helpers from the nearest Arpin agent. All proceeded smoothly. I was able to park near the U-Haul so I could walk over to pick up the shuttle truck, drive it the 3 blocks where I would complete the transfer. I began the transfer while waiting for my helpers. After an hour I began calling to see if my helpers were on the way. NO ANSWER after an hour of no response I began looking for alternative help. I continued the transfer and filled the shuttle truck with the first load. I was able to find help that would meet me at the residence. They turned out to be top notch movers that saved the day. I gladly paid them along with a nice bonus for helping turn a small disaster into a positive outcome. 


I guess the moral of this story is that it is only with the help of good people do we make the moves a seamless and positive experience for the shippers. No matter what job the person does, driver, helper, dispatcher, or other support staff, we are ALL important to the completed job.

No comments: