Saturday, December 15, 2012

Why did you Choose the Moving Buisness ? ..Skip..

FROM OUR DRIVER AND PROFESSIONAL MOVER SKIP AUSTIN...
    


Why did you choose the moving business?

My start in the Moving business is just like most everyone out there....It started as a summertime job....That turned into 35+ years.....I was in college at the U of Arizona,needed to work for the summer and was found by a local agent in Tucson.....I worked two summers and started back to school in the fall and lost my father.He,and my mom,were living in Cornelia,Georgia,where she was a director of nursing for HCA(hospital corp of America),he was medically retired,had a bad heart....They had just bought a house,she could not afford alone,AND,as the oldest male,it was up to me to help out....

HELLO TO THE MOVING INDUSTRY!

Doing that job for the summers had given me a background,and I was pretty good at stacking sticks by then.....OFF the deep end and bought a truck....Been here ever since,funny thing is,one of my trucks helped get both my brother and sister their first degree,AND,both my kids theirs.....MOVING HAS BEEN BEERY,BERRY,GOOD TO ME....


 

    What has been your most challenging move to date?  and
  What were the greatest challenges during the move and how did you overcome them?


As to my most difficult job.....Thanks need to go out for that one to Jay......Who called me 3-4 years ago with a HUGE pack/shuttle and load out of Alabama.....40,000#s.....?I told him....I live in ALABAMA,there'ain't no house big enough to hold 40,000#'s....WAIT A MINUTE.....MIGHT BE TWO DOUBLEWIDES?Imagine my surprise,in Vestavia HEIGHTS(Al.)there are some houses as big as 9000 square feet...on a lake?I had no idea......Help was a major problem,had to bring good guys in from Atlanta,AND,there was a need for a second truck....On to Leroy,an employee driver with Arpin....LIFESAVER,Pulled my ass out of the fire all throughout this job,although he only got there on the fourth day...Two days we packed,two days we shuttled,got both of my trailers full,then the fifth day Leroy got 12,000 shuttled to his truck......Here's the final numbers.....I had 41,000#s on and Leroy got 12,000....Packed,shuttled and loaded in FIVE DAYS..It was interesting to say the least,88,000#'s gross,I can scale that,BUT,not on the interstate.Most of the states I had to go through would allow me the 88,I just had to stay on 2 lane roads all the way to Denver....It was a long trip.Leroy made it a pleasure,and that was the last time I've been able to run across with another driver...I've only seen him two times since then,be nice to be able to work with him again......And that's not the end of the story....


On to destination.....Shipper was WAY up in the food chain,CEO of a MAJOR national corporation,the new house was an ESTATE on 10 acres in DOWNTOWN,Denver,(mucho denero)....It had a driveway that was ½ a mile long,low,hanging tree's and yes...IT WAS ANOTHER SHUTTLE....Thanks need to got out here to the agent(who is no longer with us)and Leroy(again)who bent over backwards to make ANOTHER 4 DAY SHUTTLE/unload and unpack.....


ILOVEMYJOBILOVEMYJOB....My mantra......

No comments: