Saturday, December 8, 2012

More on Power

My moment of clarity.

Years ago I had a manager that was very intimidating, he was rude and angry and generally dis-respected mostly everybody he had contact with. As soon as a person left the room or was out of ear shot he would put them down and say disgusting things about them. You knew that he did the same when you left the room so you were always careful around him.
You worried about every day and your job because he had the title, the POWER.

I had a young family and needed the job and the money therefore I was nervous because I realized that no matter what I did in my job he would not fully support me. Another VP at the time saw me out of work and asked how work was and said as long as my boss LIKED me that I would be all set. I thought LIKE should not be a part of the equation , my work should speak for me. It should not be a popularity contest and I should not have to bend down to person with such low morals and disrespect for others.

I was reading a book at the time from my favorite author- Gerry Spence- and he devotes a whole chapter on POWER, I have referenced in past blogs. In it he talks about YOU having the POWER and having the choice to keep it or to give it away.
It was also around Easter and every Easter I listen to Jesus Christ Superstar. One part of the story Jesus is brought to Pilate and he will not give in to what Pilate wants him to say or do so Pilate has him whipped and flogged. Jesus is brought back in front of Pilate and Pilate says don't you realize that I have the POWER. And Jesus looks up to him bloodied and beat and says " YOU HAVE NO POWER" any power you have is from high above.

So at the same time I am allowing this person to work on my nerve's I read Gerry Spence's chapter on Power and I listened to the words of Jesus about Power and who truly holds it.

This is not meant to be a purely religious posting, I do think that most of the world does agree that there was a man that walked the Earth thousands of years ago and spoke of peace and his name was Jesus.
His words and example are as strong today as they were then.

That was a moment of clarity for ME and it gave me strength and help me through a difficult time.

POWER.......WHO TRULY HAS IT...

No comments: