Friday, December 28, 2012

Why did I choose the Moving Business..

My story..
1)      Why did I choose the moving business?



I had a young family at the time, married 4 years, I was 28 with a two year old daughter. I was working for Honeywell dispatching their servicemen for all the major hospitals and schools in New England. Before that I managed a retail store when I was 21 for 3 years. I left retail when the "Blue Law" the Blue Law prevented retail store from opening up on Sunday, once that went away Sunday was just another day to work. Having a young family I believed in Sunday being a family day, I still do.
Honeywell was a very good job but I worked in East Providence and their main Headquarters was in Minnesota. All though my supervisors were very nice and they appreciated my work I felt like a number, like the people that truly make the decisions for promotions and who stay and who goes were in Minnesota. They did not know me, or my work ethic. I preferred to work for a family business, I do not mind working hard but I prefer that the owner at least knows me.
I saw a help want in the newspaper for Paul Arpin Van Lines, after I did some investigations they looked like what I was looking for, a major headquarters located in R.I. and family owned.
I interviewed with David Arpin and he was very sincere and said all the right things, that was back in 1985 and I have been there ever since.


    What has been my most challenging move to date? and

    What were the greatest challenges during the move and how did I overcome them?


A few years later it was Mother's Day and I was having breakfast with my wife and now two children when David Arpin called my house. He had said that a customer that was suppose to move the day before out of R.I. found his number and called him at home. The driver planned had mechanical problems and never showed up. Mind you this was well before cell phones and the Internet.
He asked if I could help, I asked for the customer's number and said that I would figure it out.
I knew the hotel that the drivers stayed at when they were in town and knew of a road driver that was there. I called the hotel and asked him if he would help. I then called a local driver and asked if he would help and if he had access to a truck. Both men were on board and even brought one other man to help. The four of us arrived at the residence with two hours and loaded the truck and brought it back to the warehouse. The customer was very appreciative and thankful as they had to be out before Monday. It was great to see people come together to help each other. As it turns out I would learn that is what the moving business is really all about.- People caring and helping each other.

2 comments:

Road Warrior said...

This comment" I preferred to work for a family business, I do not mind working hard but I prefer that the owner at least knows me"means EVERYTHING to me.....No one at Arpin ever asks me for a driver number to look me up....They ALL KNOW MY VOICE.You all have heard me talk about a "FAMILY"of movers AND,here it is.

Jillian said...

Thank you for making all of those decisions!