Saturday, January 14, 2012

A true story

Below is a email from a son of a driver that currently drives for Arpin....(he did not drive for Arpin during the happenings in this email ABOUT 17 YEARS AGO)...


 So as you all know my dads profession as an over the road driver of coarse constitutes for some interesting dealings.  Around the age of 13 I can remember being in southern Florida and my dad receiving a phone call from someone asking if we would be interested in helping him out and I believe making an additional amount of side money.  Dad being how he is of coarse with not letting anyone give him any offers he cannot turn down, wether money related or not, says no problem.  When he hung up I asked "Who was that?" only to see my dad take his pointer finger, place it on the tip of his nose and push his nose toward the left side of his face.  At the time I had no clue what that meant and asked again, "Now who was that?" He responded and said "insert name here." although I do know the name I am leaving it out. 
 He also said we have something small to pick up for the trip from one of the moving agencies. I obliged.  When we arrived at the location we were pointed toward this very small antique refrigerator.  Dad and I stated wont be a problem.  As we go to lift the item we are over whelmed with the wait and end up having to place this on a moving dolly.  In placing it on the dolly the one thing I can remember are the tires bowing out as they seemed like they were going to blow.  We end up getting it loaded and leave for our destination in California. Around a week later we arrive in an upscale neighborhood that I cannot believe we are in.  We pull up to the destination and out walks an older man probably pushing 70. Dad and I step out of the truck and approach him. He seemed very happy we arrived.
 I still to this day remember his accent, at the time not sure where it
 originated. He said in his Italian accent "Its going in the garage." Then he opens the garage door and to our surprise there are around 10 to 12 people speaking Italian, not English Italian, sitting in there.  They all seemed very exited.  We fought to get the refrigerator out of the trailer and got it to the garage.  The older man in his Italian accent asks I we would like to be shown around his property.  We oblige.  He has a massive amount of land and delivery pigeons, which at the time had no clue what they were used for.  When finished he walked us back to the truck and handed my dad an undisclosed amount of cash.  Then says to my dad in his Italian accent "Your sons a biga boy, he ever thought about joining the rackett?" again not knowing what he was referring to.  I don't exactly remember what dad said, but of coarse no in some fashion.  Alot of this in the latter years made more sense.  Not sure to this day what was in the feidge. This is a  story I would love to keep around and
 therefore is why I have placed it here.

Thanka U for the email...

No comments: