Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Very First Moving Experience

Below is from one of our elite agents located in the Norfolk VA area, Don Queeney...

My very first time on a moving job was quite by accident. In the spring of 1978 I hitch hiked across the country with a long time friend. We were out on the road for over 8 weeks. We traveled through 17 different states and had our share of “experiences”. The day I got home, back to Long Island, NY I was describing my “experiences” to a neighbor while he readied his straight truck moving van for a trip. We talked and he asks me if I wanted to run down to DC with him to help him unload. What the hell, I had been away from mom for 8 weeks, she probably wasn’t looking forward to me re-entering her empty nest anyway. So off we went. At this point I had never touch a stick of furniture in my life. By that next morning, along with 2 landscape guys my neighbor grabbed from the apartment complex we were delivering to, we delivered 12,000 lbs to the 30th floor of a high end apartment. I was in charge of unloading the elevator and placing in the customer unit. I will never forget when an 18th century secretary desk came off the elevator with one leg completely broken off and laying on side of the desk as it laid on a 4 wheel dolly. That was my introduction to the business. Why I didn’t turn and run then I’ll never know. I worked with this neighbor for two years and to this day I use skills from him and that time.

No comments: