Monday, July 16, 2012

THE PIANO


IMAGINE,a concert grand piano......1200 pounds of main piano body,on the piano board.....At origin in Phoenix,Az. With NO steps,AND 4 guys,it was no problem.Then the customer(an ABC News Executive)tells me it(at 12 feet 6 inches)it will not fit in the elevator at destination.....DANG!

17'th floor,wide stairway,BUT,17 FLIGHTS?LEMME SAY IT AGAIN....17 FLIGHTS?.....

I did not know of any Saint Paul,Mn.condos that were that tall....NIGHTMARES all the way up there....How am I going to handle something that heavy,UP 17 FLIGHTS? I was ready to hire 6 guys,just for the 3 hours it would take for that one piece.....Only when I called the shipper 24 hours before,there had been a snow storm that dumped 4 feet of snow and their top floor condo,the roof fell in,.So now,EVERYTHING(thanks you weather GOD)is going into a ground floor 2 bedroom,self storage in the same complex..I don't have to mess with the piano..



I (yes this is years ago) took 2 guys out to residence with me,expecting 50 feet and no stairs for the drop of 17,000 lbs,only to find out that he got permission to place 1 thing upstairs.....YUP,the piano....

I don't remember the numbers from back then,but it was like $2 for every step after the first flight,and 17 flights,with a turn between each,,the dollars for it was like $900.Way to good to pass up......I remembered seeing a sign for the U of Mn.4 miles and thought why not call the athletic dept...

FOOTBALL,players,STEROID abusers,1 eyebrow,no neck,LINEMAN......I called and got 6 of the biggest guys I ever stood beside for $50 per.....They had beer money and RAN up those stairs...After the second flight,I got on the elevator,they still beat me to the condo.....WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER!


This was from our driver extraordinaire Skip


No comments: