Monday, September 30, 2013

A Snow Story


Every driver out here has his favorite SNOW story(or several)and here is one from driver Skip...

 

1993,I had a job after Christmas,I loaded out of Atlanta that was late(loading)along with about another 24,000 pounds of stuff going to Albuquerque,Denver,and parts unknown(getting old,don't remember)that was going to Pagosa Springs,Colorado....You guys ever look where Pagosa Springs is?Right at the bottom of Wolf Creek Pass(yes,that same pass from CW McCall’s song).It seems it's in a bowl.....8000 foot mountains all the way around,except one small pass south west of town..Funny thing about this is,when fronts come up from the gulf of BAJA,they can't get past any of those mountains except the small pass down there and the fronts just go around and around....DUMPING SNOW ON Pagosa Springs....WELL???

 

 

I managed to drop a piano in Albuquerque on Sunday,early,and drove on up to Pagosa.I found a place to park on the east end of town...Great place to park,Restaurant had Elk Steaks,beer store across the street,video tape store next door...Life is good...only to find out a MAJOR winter storm is due in tonight.....DANG!Whutever...The next morning I woke up and climbed out of the closet,to discover,the hood on my truck was so covered in snow,it blocked the windshield....DANG,looks like no drop today....I put on my snow suit and climbed out of the truck into 4 feet of new powder....and called the shipper at 8am only to get reamed by her for not being there last week.Gets better,there's so much snow,the town is shut down and all I can do is watch video's and eat Elk steaks....LIFE IS GOOD!

 

4 Days later(gained 10 pounds there food was good)they had plowed one lane up the hill to her neighborhood,and 1 lane up to her house..My trailer cannot make any of the turns and we get a shuttle truck to drop....I got it done and the went back to the same parking spot......Wolf Creek pass had some snow slides and was not open......For another 4 days....Dang!They had to blast the pass and when I finally got through there it was driving in a tunnel,high side was 16 feet of snow wall,low side was 12 feet....Wish I had pics.....

No comments: