Sunday, April 21, 2013

Your work

I work so I can live....I do not live so I can work.

I have worked full time since I was 17 and I will be 56 this year...that is a long time and I have learned every step of the way.

I enjoyed every challenge. My first job I moved up from stock boy to manager, I was the youngest store manager in a  chain retail store , at 21 I ran a million dollar store. I watched and learned and just kind of naturally progressed because I saw how it was done but more important I saw how to improve how it was done. I enjoyed learning about people and how to train and motivate, sometimes without even knowing that was what I was doing, I just fell into that role. I went on and set record numbers of increase in a already successful store.

I changed jobs because I had a young family and wanted more security and opportunity so a friend of mine suggested I put in for his job because he was moving up into sales. he dispatched servicemen for Honeywell. I knew nothing about it but applied because it looked like a good opportunity. I was hired and once again I found myself learning and watching and I reshaped how they dispatched and did their inventory room completely over. I liked the people and the company but once again I found myself looking for my security. Their main office was in Minnesota and I worked in R.I., I wanted to work for someone that knew me, I did not just want to be a number. Enter Paul Arpin's.

Arpin was a family owned business in my backyard. I answered a ad for a customer care person. I did not feel it was for me but they asked me back to interview, this time with David Arpin. David asked me to join their dispatch and he was very honest and sincere. I knew nothing about the household business but I now had 8 years of business and learning people to look back on.

I joined Arpin in 1985 and worked my way up to Senior Vice President. When I joined we did about 7 million dollars and we are now a 200 million dollar company. I had a small hand in that I hope. I certainly learned the most here and I am still learning every day. I reshaped how they dispatched and have implemented a complete computerized dispatch that still has our personal touch that Paul Arpin demanded but helps send and gather data and information without today's technology. Because as he said time and time again- without our drivers we are nothing- being a driver once himself he always built that into my DNA.-
Respect- others- work hard- and then work a little harder !

All that said I do not think my work is what defines me. My family defines me and at the end of the day that is where I have my most pride. I certainly am proud of my accomplishments and I am blessed to have met and hopefully helped many people along the way but when my kids first said daddy I heart melted, and it still does. Then they grow up and your grand kids come in and they call you Papa.
Life just does not get better.

I love working...and I love challenges and learning and training and motivating. It is pretty cool to shape and re-shape and step back and see what you have done.

Your work certainly does help define who you are but in the end your relationships, friends and family is what you truly embrace.

It is all a part of each other.

2 comments:

Road Warrior said...

MAN....."All that said I do not think my work is what defines me. My family defines me and at the end of the day that is where I have my most pride. I certainly am proud of my accomplishments and I am blessed to have met and hopefully helped many people along the way but when my kids first said daddy I heart melted, and it still does. Then they grow up and your grand kids come in and they call you Papa.
Life just does not get better."Well said....Where's the like button????

Jillian said...

This is such a nice post! I am proud of your accomplishments too, and I also feel blessed, and my family defines me too!