Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sucked in again

Even after over 30 years in business and writing blogs on stress and how to handle situations I still get sucked in.
I guess the biggest difference now is at least I do identify it earlier (not handling situations correctly) and then I try applying all I have wrote or read about and get it back in check.

It certainly can happen to all us, if the moment is right and someone pushes the right button even with all the training in the world we can still handle it wrong.

The other day I had a driver pretty much stare me down and he caught me at the absolute best time for me - not- to handle the situation correctly.

Our initial reaction is to get defensive, and that is what I did.
I do not handle threats well. I do not threaten people and I do like being threatened or like it when someone gives me ultimatums.
I truly believe that in business we are partners. Rather it's is an agent, employee, driver or any third parties that we work with. Neither should feel the need nor the right to stare a person down or threaten.
If you do that what you do is break that trust and partnership and even if you are able to pull it together and get by it you really never feel the same.
It is no different in your personnel relationships, when someone lies or cheats or threatens you may forgive but it is really hard to forget.

I try to bring it back to the surface, literally take a deep breath and put things in perspective.

It is not easy but if you stay sucked in it will only defeat you and take over.

It just is not worth it.......I am still learning.......breathe grasshopper...breathe.

1 comment:

Road Warrior said...

The real trick there is to not let anger control your actions.We have to get to a point where when someone gets in your face,find a solution without a confrontation,work it out.