Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Solid advise for anyone ....

Here at Roger Williams University, Graduation for the class of 2012 is fast approaching and to all of the graduating seniors, I can say without hesitation that the message I’ve heard repeatedly from all offices on campus is that you will be missed. To all of the seniors that I have come in contact with and especially those that have worked here in the admission office, it is truly sad to see you go but I know you will all continue to do great things after graduation. It is important to me to note that I said “after graduation” and not “in the real world” because that is an expression that has always bothered me, when people refer to graduating as entering the “real world”. I assure you that as you move forward in life nothing will be more “real” than the friends, contacts, experiences and lessons that you have accumulated throughout your college years, both inside and outside of the classroom.
With that in mind, my advice to the graduating class of 2012 is stay in touch. It will seem easy at first and grow harder over time but it is a pursuit that is well worth the effort. Put aside time during your week to call or text friends, to hear their stories and catch up on what is happening in each other’s lives. Write thank you letters and email updates to the university faculty and staff who have worked with you and who will continue to work with you as job references and advisors for the decisions that lie ahead. Don’t let yourself lose touch as you move forward, because the network you have built during your college years will be instrumental in your life both personally and professionally, and have an impact on the amazing places I am sure you will all go. In the wise words of Dr. Seuss:

“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”



No comments: