Tuesday, May 1, 2012

SPEAK UP

Below is an excerpt from a book, Rolling Pennies in the Dark" written by Douglas MacKinnon.

As I see it, one of the major problems facing our nation, and especially the poor of our nation, is that nobody wants to get involved. NOBODY.
And because nobody wants to get involved, mostly bad things happen. Very bad things. And these bad things happen because good people choose to ignore the evil before them and purposefully look the other way.
I have always been struck by the quote by Pastor Martin Niemoller with the United States Congress in 1968:

They came first for the Communist,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionist,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and by that time no one left to speak up.

Our country and the world in general are on a collision course with this indifference and selfishness. Every day we spiral down further into the abyss of ignoring those who need our help, while running and hiding from the trouble.

"We are our brother's keeper"

SPEAK UP

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Ok, that does sound like a good book. :-) I actually use that quote all the time in my classes.