Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Holiday Message from Arpin's Agency Marketing Coordinator Chris Kunzmann


From our social media guru...Chris Kunzmann....

Ahh the holidays are here.

It’s everywhere you go.  Turn on the radio?  Christmas music.  Walk into a shopping center?  Christmas music.  Like watching ABC Family?  25 Days of Christmas.

Personally, I won’t start listening to the “oh so catchy” music until after Thanksgiving.  I need to let the turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie digest until I can start dreaming of a White Christmas.  But once it hits 12:00 a.m. the day after turkey day…all bets are off.

Now that I’m 24 years old, while Christmas is still my favorite time of the year, the meaning of the holiday changes as the years go on.
  
When you’re a child, you can’t wait to tear through the wrapping paper, hoping it’s that toy you’ve been pestering your parents for.  Your belief in Santa is still strong…and you hope he didn’t see you push Jimmy during recess.

As a teenager, you want the next “cool” thing so you can show all of your friends.  At this point, you know Santa is just for show, but if you have a younger sibling, you still have to believe.  I fell into this category since my brother and I are 5 years apart.  So what if I recognized the nearby mall Santa from the Home Depot down the street?  To my brother, here was his chance to plead his case for the latest Barney VHS (that’s right…I may only be in my early 20’s…but I still remember VHS).

Now, there’s adulthood.  Instead of just getting presents, it’s now time to give back.  Parents, guardians, friends, boyfriends and girlfriends…husbands and wives.  Maybe you donate to your favorite charity.  This is after all…the season of giving. 

For me, I love this time of year because it gives me the opportunity to see both sides of my family within two days.  On Christmas Eve, I celebrate with my mom’s side.  On Christmas Day, my dad’s.  I encounter the usual questions of “when did I get so tall?” and “how’s life after college?”  But, the important thing is to never take these occasions for granted.  Cherish them at the moment and take in every second of Jingle Bells on the radio and the countless Charlie Brown specials leading up to Christmas Day.

And, if you haven’t seen A Christmas Story yet, you’re missing out.  24 hour marathon on TBS every year starting at 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve.  It’s my favorite movie of all time.  All time.  I try to watch it at least 5 times during the marathon. (It’s the best Christmas marathon on TV…right next to the Bond 007 Days of Christmas).

I wish all of you a Happy Holidays since we may celebrate either Christmas or Hanukkah.  May it be filled with good memories, spent with good people…and if you’re an NBA fan…a Celtics win over the Knicks (I know that’s on my Christmas List).

Enjoy,
Chris