Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday

One of the reasons I left retail back in 1982 was they had just passed the " blue law" in R.I. which made it possible for retail stores to open on Sunday.
That's right for those of you to young to remember, stores were actually CLOSED on Sunday.

Imagine that.

That was the day that for generations we shut down and the family would gather for Sunday dinner.
You sat around , ate, relaxed and caught up on what ever was going on.
I always thought that it was an important tradition and my wife and I had been married for over a year and was we were expecting our first child.
I was appalled that such a law could pass and I thought that it said a lot for where we were going as a society when we put money and business profit over family.

OK, maybe I did over dramatize it a bit but that it was I believed at the time.

I still absolutely believe that may of been the beginning or certainly the next big hurdle in our overall culture change.
That said I do not think that Sunday necessarily needs to be THE day. As long as families make time to shut it down and relax and talk, that is the important thing.

I understood that Sunday does not necessarily needs to be the day when I joined Arpin and became friends with an over the road driver who would spend days and weeks away from home but he told me that when he was home it was the quality of time he had with his family not the quantity or particular day.

It is so true.

Either way, my concern is now with all this technology at our fingertips and stores open 24/7 our present and future generations will not understand the importance of shutting it down.

Gone are the Sunday traditions in most households....not mine.
 I am proud to say that 30 years after I left retail we still have Sunday dinners , my children who no longer live at home come home on Sunday with their friends and husbands and their children and eat, relax and we catch up with each other's life's.....long live tradition.

I guess this kinda marries up with my last posting on what is success to you.......being able to hold on to this concept of Sunday dinners and family is my personnel success story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Morning there,my fellow blogger!OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Well, it is Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**************************************************************************the man..the myth..the LEGEND