Saturday, September 9, 2017

The people we look up to

We are all going through something .. including people you may look up to.
As I grew older I was amazed with how the people I grew up admiring had a difficult upbringing or was going through such difficult times.
We all have this grand illusion that people that are successful have this wonderful life with no problems...wrong.
Very successful people like Elvis Presley, Robin Williams , Ray Charles, Johnny Cash even Bruce Springsteen, they have a story to tell and in most cases it is their dark shadows and ugly history that fueled them.
Point being is you never know and why should you ?
The one thing that I can assure you is all the people around you have gone through something or are going through something that shaped their lives and because of those moments and memories that is how they view others and possibly react the way they do.
The other thing is that no matter what face they show or you show the public at the end of the day we all have to live in our own skin.
Hopefully as we do get older we have the time to self reflect in our own upbringing and lives and we learn that even those that we admire or maybe even dis like all have a story to tell.
I know I react the way I do because of my childhood and things that may have happened to me, but even knowing that it does mean it stops my reactions but hopefully I can at least identify why I may be having the thoughts I have or why I may be defensive and then try to work it out in my own head.
They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger..it is true IF you take the time to self reflect and to try to understand what did hurt you and who may have hurt you- learn from it and be better.

No comments: