Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Life's lessons

Some of my best lessons come from real life experiences and/or observations.

This weekend my family and I went out for pizza and a play on Sunday.
We discovered this great little brick oven pizza restaurant in Matunuck R.I. , right near the ocean and the theatre.

The young man that made the pizza and stoked the oven was somewhere in his mid- twenty's. We sat outside on the picnic table and as the family held conversations I was facing the young man and was watching him get the oven ready and then make the pizzas. He brought them over to the table one at a time, we tried four or five different kinds. He was very polite and the pizza was outstanding.

Before we left I went inside to pay the bill and when I came out I went up to the young man and asked him his name., Mike he said. I told him that we all enjoyed each pizza and went to give him a $10.00 tip.
He pulled away and said I can't accept that and I said sure you can , you did a great job. He said I will take it and go inside and put it in our tip bowl. When he came out I said that he was very good and that he made good pizza and he said " thanks I take pride in what I do".

Now here was a young man in his middle twenty's that was working in front of a hot brick oven and for the most part it appeared to me that he had very little supervision and one, he refused to take the tip for himself- he could of very easily put the money in his pocket for himself but he did the right thing he put it in the tip bowl for all to share.
And Two he took pride in what he did and it showed. It may look like just a pizza job to most but he took pride in his work.

Wonderful lessons... ( and great pizza! )

No comments: