Sunday, August 11, 2013

Lessons for success

4. Desire Outweighs Potential
As an entrepreneur, I see potential in everything and everybody. As an employer, this got me into terrible trouble. I would hire people on potential without checking desire. Of course nearly every applicant wanted the job, even when they didn't. Then in 90 days, the excitement of the new job wore off, and we all realized we made a horrible mistake. I now put people through rigorous testing for desire (including myself) when new opportunities arise. Spend time thinking of the implications down the road. Don't ask the question Can I do that? Ask the question Should I do that?

5. Pay Yourself First
This sounds like a selfish approach, but actually it is a logical one. However generous you want to be, you really can't help others from a position of weakness ... just like in an airplane, where you're told to secure your own oxygen mask before helping a child. To offer legitimate guidance and support, you must be strong, stable and secure financially and emotionally. The easiest way to get there is to set your materialistic needs low, secure a happy home life and maintain a healthy body. Then, and only then, will you be ready to help others selflessly and abundantly.

6.  Civility Is Strength
As a New Yorker, I know what it means to live around rudeness. And while I thrive on the directness of my fellow city dwellers, there is a time to sit back and let things pass. Being polite and cordial or even passive doesn't automatically make you a doormat. You don't have to be rude or pushy to get what you want or to appear strong. And you certainly don't have to fight every battle. Today, I find that I accomplish more by allowing others to panic and get excited. Then I weigh in with careful thought and consideration. Before you get anxious and jump into the fray, ask yourself: Is this the highest and best use of my time and energy?

7.  Appreciate Every Experience
I've had my share of good times and bad. It's been a bumpy ride, to say the least. But I have yet to live a day where I didn't learn something, connect with someone of value or observe inspiring beauty. And for that, I am always grateful. I hope you are too.

No comments: