Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How to be a creative problem-solver

I love this one ...I can not take credit for it but I totally agree with it..follow it today and my next few postings....

I get so many books in the mail to review, and the way I evaluate which ones are worth my time is to first read the jacket flap. So I’m not even going to pretend that I have read Tipping Sacred Cows, by Jake Breeden, but I’m going to tell you that it has an amazing jacket flap.
He lists sacred cows in corporate life that we should reconsider:
Balance: Disguising indecision as a bland compromise that attempts to achieve many things but ends up accomplishing nothing
Collaboration: Creating a culture of learned helplessness with little individual empowerment and accountability
Excellence: Spending too much energy producing perfect work instead of developing the quick-and-dirty solution needed now
Fairness: Keeping score and evening the score to make sure no one gets more than their “fair share”
Passion: Racing down a path seeking success only to find burn-out and misbehavior instead
The reason I love this list is because so much of being creative at work is looking for things that are opposite or things that clash. Breeden picks a list of workplace words that we think are intrinsically positive, and he shows us how they’re jargon. The act of looking at things in their opposite light is the best skill to have if you want to be a creative problem-solver.
When I told this to Melissa, she said, “You need to link to Leonardo da Vinci writing backwards.” So here it is. But that’s not that practical for you.

So I’m going to tell you four ways I’ve taught myself to think counter-intuitively.....check out the next few postings ....it is good stuff.. trust me..absorb what you can..

No comments: