Thursday, March 21, 2013

2- Practice asking why

2. Practice asking why.

The problem with asking why is that you often get answers that are really inconvenient. For example, why do we give boys a circumcision? I spent nine months arguing this with my ex-husband before my first son was born.

The benefit to asking why over and over again is that eventually you come up with innovative solutions. At the beginning of my adventures in homeschooling, everything seemed terrible. I was scared to put my kids in school, I was scared to teach my kids curriculum, I was scared not to teach my kids curriculum. The trick is to hold two competing things in your head: what you wish to be true, and what looks like the actual truth.

 The benefit of asking why and sticking with it is that you’ll come to a new and innovative solution to make things clear in your head.

No comments: