Sunday, February 17, 2013

Down in the “Big Easy”

From driver Skip...
As a young driver,I had a special time down in the “Big Easy”I need to tell about....


LATE '70's,I had a trip from the Bay(Chevron Accounts)down to New Orleans.What made this one different was a breakdown in west Texas that put me way behind.I only had one full day to get from Ozona Texas to the Big Easy,the hours were going to be rough......ALL at 55 mph,DANG,long day,just kept the left door closed all day and when I pulled onto the street(for the first time there)at the agent it was past 9 pm.I'd been at it 14 hours and had NOTHING to eat,just thought when I got parked,I'd walk and find something.....My surprise was within 10 blocks the only 2 places open were a bowling alley and a small hole in the wall bar....What the heck,1 beer and I'll be hammered,go to bed and get something in the am,I chose the bar and went inside....Sat at the bar and ordered a beer from this 400 pound old woman who had no teeth(Mable was her name),and her first words to me were”It's Tuesday,Red Beans,rice,and smoked sausage come free with your beer”I asked her if I could KISS her right on those toothless lips.She almost fell over laughing and then I told her just how hungry I was,4 plates later,I went to bed.....


I had a total of 5 jobs dropping there and the 4 to load right back for the bay,needless to say I became a regular there and Mable(after the second night)took me back into the kitchen,and spent the next 10 days teaching me Cajun cooking......DANG!Jambalaya,crawfish,Cajun chicken,red beans and rice....The list goes on......Let me say this one more time....DANG!


I'll give you guys a small sample and the trick she used for her hot wings....No breading,just wash the wings and drop the in hot oil,when the skin starts to crisp,dip them out and immediately dip them into melted butter,the on to a plate for a dousing of Louisiana hot sauce(Trappy's,the Bull,Texas pete's,anything from New Iberia)let it cool just a bit and PIG OUT.....


So yes,it's not just the moves I have fond memories of,it's EVERY aspect of my life for the last 37 years....

No comments: