Thursday, June 21, 2012

Check list in my head

Especially on days in the summer I find myself running through my checklist in my head on the drive into work.

Not on the day's work ahead but on all the good things in my life and what ever good that I have accomplished.

I try to run through the list to help me to remember not to get caught up in the days events as if they are all dire situations.

All situations can be worked out but it is imperative to keep a cool head and in order to do that I need to reassure my self of all that I have and no matter what at the end of the day -I will still have.

When it is as busy as it is mistakes will happen and tempers will flare. You can either add to it or try to reason your way through it.

Part of our stress in the moving business is that is even more seasonal then ever.
For example the second week of February this yea we moved 1.6 million pounds of tonnage- a lot of tonnage for sure- but the second week of June we moved 4.2 million.

Since it is impossible to stock up on drivers and equipment year round because of the disparity in tonnage we have the  unwelcome stress of the summer.

Trying to move 400 jobs in one week when the other 10 months of the year you move an average of 150-200 is where the challenge comes in.

With that you cannot staff at the agency level or at the home office in levels that can accommodate the rush so we all do more with less.

It is what it is.

That is why on the drive into work I try to run through my check list in my head.
To prepare...

No comments: