Monday, May 12, 2014

The Year Was 1944

THIS WAS THE YEAR 1944

U.S PRESIDENT
Franklin D. Roosevelt

VICE PRESENT
Henry A. Wallace

TIME MAGAZINE PERSON OF THE YEAR
Dwight David Eisenhower

Cost of Living:
New House $3,475
New Car $975
Average Rent $50.00 per month
Gasoline .15c per gallon
Movie Ticket .40c
Postage Stamp .03c

Cost of Food:
Granulated Sugar .75c for 10lbs
Milk .62c per gallon
Ground Coffee .48c
Bacon .45c per pound
Eggs .21c per dozen
Ground Beef .32c per pound

Popular Movies:
Going May Way (Academy Award)
Jane Eyre
Double Indemnity
Gaslight
Meet Me In St. Louis
Laura
Murder, My Sweet

Music:
G.I Jive (Louis Jordan)
I Dream of You (Andy Russell)
I Love You (Bing Crosby)
I'll Walk Alone (Dinah Shore)
Shoo Shoo Baby (The Andrews Sisters)

Popular Quote:
"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and blow." -Lauren Bacall in To Have and To Have Not

No comments: