Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hero's

Monday is our day to say thank you to our true hero's , our veterans and all of our men and women in the military.

I always think of my cousin who was a drill sergeant in the Army and fought in Vietnam, Bobby.
Bobbly is my cousin but was more like a big brother to me growing up. He taught me how to fish and hunt and how to skin and gut what I caught. He taught me to ride a motorcycle and to drive a stick shift. He was and is the definition of tough. He retired from the Army and by the time he left the service he taught many a young man.
As he grew older he showed me what it was like to be a good husband to a wife that he became his other half and he showed me what it is like to be a good father to two young ladies that look up to their dad, their hero. And later a hero to his grandchildren.
He recently lost his wife to a two year battle of cancer.
I never saw the man cry till that day.

On this day on Veteran's Day I also think of my brother-in- law who also fought in Vietnam and suffers to this day from agent orange and other ghost that still haunt him from that war. He too came home to get married and he made his family his number one priority and his children and grandchildren are his world, even as he suffers through Parkinson's .

I thank them and all of our military men and woman as much as I can.

May God bless them and may God bless this great country. 

Remember Freedom is not Free.

No comments: