Thursday, September 27, 2012

From Driver Skip...


This story starts out with it being Friday,early 90’s,and the season ending episode of Miami Vice being on that night.....


I loaded 12,000 in Minneappolis,Mn.That day and was really in a hurry to get down to Des Moines for the show...Funny thing was at that time,55 mph was the limit,but Iowa had a $5 waste of energy ticket for anything 10 mph or less over the speed...So I was pushing it,63-64,pulled out to pass a group of 14 trucks and they all fell in behind me....I had the front door...Nobody’s on the radio,just quiet...After about 20 miles,I noticed a car coming up from the back kind of fast,and as he got passed a truck,the truck was slowing down...I got on the radio and asked about it,no answer...Thinking they would warn me if it was a cop,I just kept into the throttle,pretty soon,all those truck were way back there and that car is pacing me,1/2 mile back....It took another 10 miles before the lights came on(those other trucks were now 2 miles back)and I got pulled over....Here it comes,got my papers,log book ect.and got out to take the ticket....He looks at me and says”GET OVER THERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY CAR AND WAIT!”,Whops,bad mood,funny thing was.....He walked out into the slow lane of the interstate and started pointing at each of 15 trucks and then the shoulder....That’s 16 truck at one time.....By the time he came back to the car,I was standing there GRINNING EAR TO EAR.....He asked me why....My answer was that was the BEST job I ever saw of anyone catching speeders and I’ll gladly pay the ticket just to tell this story....He said”Yes I know,get in the car”.I did notice he had a CB in there and we got started on the paperwork....He told me if I’d turn my radio off,and just get out of there he would not write me,because “all those other chicken shit truckdrivers should have told me about him”.Can you say YES SIR?

All those years of driving,I had heard about one Iowa cop who had a radio,would get on it and give the all clear,the pull trucks over for speeding,he was a legend with the older drivers at that time....Always setting someone up....Cb handle was “Silver Bullet”,I asked if it was him to which he replied”YES SIR”....So yes,I met a legend....

1 comment:

Road Warrior said...

Something I forgot to mention....He said it would be 3 HOURS to get to the last truck....5 bucks was cheap as compared to the extra time......Which brings up another story.....My first doctors appointment with a new doctor pissed me off....Time was 9 am and I saw him at 11......I handed him a bill out of the tariff for 2 hours of my time(as well as the truck)or %85.00 per hour..I then explained my time was MORE valuable than his....My next appointment was 9 am,saw him at 8:45....Lessons are a bitch...