Monday, September 24, 2012

A HOUSEHOLD MOVER


From a household mover....
 
Clean Up Hitter-ER,Just Another Day In Paradise-ER,I'll Fix It,ER,I love My Job-ER,

One Day In The Life Of A Mover

 

 

This day started the day before,when,I ran up against the 14 hour rule.It happened about 6 pm and I was still 75 miles from where I needed to be at 8 am in the morning...I shut down,knowing that a shuttle(even with 6 men and two trucks)on 18,000#'s was going to be a long day,and needing to be up at 3:30 am.would make it even longer.Well?It's what we do...

 

The alarm went off at 3:30 and up I got,reached for the thermos,got ready for the day.I needed to pre-trip at 4,get on the scale,hit my comdata card for the money needed,and head north.That's where the first problem of the day happened....It seems someone had forgotten to load my card,and all I could think of was.....I'll fix it this afternoon....

 

I got to where I had to park about 6:45 am and waited for the guys to show up.At 7;30 we were all ready to rock.Went on down to residence,met the shippers and started on the tour...The first thing I noticed was the need for 12 additional crates,statues,ceramic pots,and even a wooden and wicker stroller from the 1850's....Had to call for authorization,get craters set up....I FIXED IT.

 

The next issue were two huge(I could include pics)weight machines that had to be disassembled,the account would not pay for it so.....I FIXED IT


Then we discovered 4-5 more dishpacks needing to be packed,all flower pots sitting outside,another call to the agent,they got packed,....I FIXED IT

 

About 3 pm I got one of the guys to give me a ride to a bank,after all,they wanted to get paid.

I FIXED IT

 

The inventory went well,the crews I had padded everything inside,right behind me and we loaded the trucks...By 6:00 pm,we were signing the papers(remember the 14 hour rule,6 was my pull the key time)and the shipper was leaving when,the craters showed up.At that point I thought there was no need for help,only the crates to float on the back trailer,so I cut everyone loose.....Then the rain started,the craters did not work in the rain,so we just sat and waited out several periods of heavy rain.Almost forgot they needed my generator to run their tools,it ran for the next 6 hours...So now,it's 12:45 am,,the last crate is on and I'm sure the neighbors did not want me there overnight?BUT,I can't move(14hour rule)The heck with that,I limped the 4 miles back to the agent...And climbed back into the closet(sleeper)for a much needed rest period...Think about it,22 hours of work....

 

I FIXED IT!


 

No comments: