Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Devil on your shoulder

We have lost two very good employees in the past few years and they both died too young.
Kevin Sullivan, who was our West Coast dispatcher and most recently Steve Sweet, who was once in our safety department.

Both had the devil on their shoulder, both had bouts with alcohol and drugs.

I am very familiar with this devil as it has been in my family for years. My dad and both sisters have had and some still do have this terrible disease effect their life's.

With Steve's passing I once again wonder how different someones life could have been if they were not bitten by this devil.

All of the people that I know that have fought this battle all have good hearts and when sober and straight they are some of the nicest people that I knew.
Unfortunately it takes hold of them and changes the direction of their entire life.

All we can do as outsiders is to be honest with them and to be there for them.
Believe me I know that this is easier said than done because ultimately the only person that can help them is themselves.

If you know of anybody that fits this mold hang in there, fight the fight with them and realize that most of the time that the person themselves  do not even like what they are doing or their predicament.
They are stuck in death spiral and do not know how to get off.

Every one has a different bottom before they decide to seek help and some never do.

Steve and Kevin are missed and I know that in their heart of hearts they were good people and it is a loss for so many.
Steve was only 50 years old and leaves behind four daughters, ages 15-22.

May GOD bless both Steve and Kevin and may they rest in peace.

Help someone if you can, a life is too precious to have the devil win.

No comments: