Wednesday, June 1, 2011

FAMILY

What does it mean when we say Arpin is like "working for a family"? Here are just a few examples:

Example 1

When I started back in 1985, I had a young family and had just purchased my first home.  We struggled financially like any young family.  We needed one car that we could rely on, so I asked David Arpin if he had any sales cars that they were selling cheap.  He said no, but asked if he could help.

I said that I had a problem making a payment or two and in the same second David, Vice President then, had opened his drawer to his desk and pulled out his personnel checkbook.  He asked me what I would need, proceeded to write a check and told me to pay it back when I could.

That's family.

Example 2

We had a driver that came down with a serious medical problem and needed help to pay medical bills.  This driver had been with Arpin for over 20 years and was one of our best.  Without the funding, he would not get the treatment that he needed and it may have cost him his life.

With the help of many contacts in the building, I was able to set up a charitable corporation so that we could raise money to help.  I sent out an email to our family of agents and drivers.  What happened from there was wonderful to be a part of. 

Agents and drivers from around the country sent checks and sent their well wishes.  Paul Arpin called me in his office and said that he too wanted to contribute.  He then wrote a personal check for $20,000.  We raised over $80,000 total all within 30 days.

Over 30 surgeries and a few months later, the driver walked out of that hospital.

That's family.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

I have another example! When my husband and I were planning to go on a Habitat for Humanity trip to New Orleans, Mr. Arpin wrote us a personal check to help us pay for our travel expenses. Also, I've been to a bunch of friendly Arpin functions, going as far back as the Easter Egg Hunt at which Bruce Fox played the Easter bunny. Now that's family! :-)