Saturday, June 4, 2011

Prioritize, Respect and Follow Through

Some of my first lessons at Arpin came very quick.

As I said, David Arpin watched over the Northeast back in the 80's and I was hired to dispatch the same area. David stood in the back room and looked over all the work and drivers.  He was also able to overhear you on the phones.

One day, he heard me call one of our drivers by his last name.  I meant no disrespect, but next thing you know, he was tapping me on the shoulder. He asked me to put the driver on hold and then told me that, "we call our drivers here by their first name."

Lesson learned.

Not only did they address their drivers by their first name, but they listened to and helped them. They were as much a business partner as anyone else, if not more so.

Next lesson was when David had asked me a question about a driver's space and the estimate on a certain job. I wrote it down and left for lunch. While I was backing up my car, I saw David running after me. I rolled the window down and he said he needed the information then, not an hour or so later.

Lesson learned.

There should be a sense of urgency when looking for information because it all ties into something else and effects other people. So follow through, and do it sooner rather then later.

Prioritize, respect and follow through...all great steps on the ladder to success.

No comments: