Sunday, January 19, 2014

Respect

Respect ...7 letters that mean so much.

I have been in management or responsible for hiring and training and organizing others for most of my career.
I managed a retail store at 21 years of age, I managed a crew of electricians and pneumatic fitters for New England hospitals and schools and I managed drivers and dispatchers for a moving company and I learned at each job. I not only learned about the business but how to work with people and how to build bonds and how to get people to work together and grow.
Not always a easy chore.

For some reason most people are apprehensive , I think it comes from their past.
What I did find at every job was people all want respect. They appreciate being talked honestly to and looked in the eye and spoken as a equal, because after all we are all equal. Just because you may have a title or hold a management position we are all equal.

At the end of the day we all need to know that you are respected for what you do and that someone cares.

I have interviewed dozens of drivers and employees and they ALL say the same thing...they just want to be respected and appreciated and treated fairly.
That is what we all want and need. 
People do not need a atta boy after every move but they do need to know that someone recognizes what they do, that at the end of the day or week or month that it made a difference.
No matter how independent that you may be ..you need to know that you are going in the right direction and that someone has your back.

Knowing you have the needed support gives people the opportunity to grow and do their job and be proud of their work.

You get what you give in life....do you respect others ?



1 comment:

Road Warrior said...

"No matter how independent that you may be ..you need to know that you are going in the right direction and that someone has your back.",Boss,we've been there more than a few times...I do need to add that folks who are in the controlling position,need to NOT have a sence of urgency when I talk to them...More times than I can count,I've been talking important(to me-drivers)things,and felt like he had some thing else he needed to get to,like what we were discussing was not important,like he did not have the time-ER respect for what I do?RESPECT!