Friday, July 15, 2011

Why?

Why do drivers like poking each other...or why do people in general find the need to pull others down in order to try and build themselves up?
I will never understand why people outright lie to each other.

When I first started at Arpin, I had dispatched a driver with a full load from the northeast heading to CA.  I knew that it was a very good load and that it paid well.  The driver called me while he was heading across and said he passed a fellow Arpin driver in Ohio who was heading East.  They were friends and they talked often on the CB (this was before cell phones).  He told the driver heading East that he had a bad load on that wouldn't pay well and he would not make any money.  He then asked me to lie for him in case the driver mentioned it to me because he knew that I knew that it was very good paying load.  I asked him, "why would you lie to him about your load??"

He said because he did not want him to feel bad. (I, of course, said I would certainly not lie for him to substantiate his lie.)

Thus was my introduction into what I will never understand, drivers poking each other.

I spoke to a now retired owner of an agency down in Florida and told me that poking each other, fibbing, telling lies...whatever you want to call it, is as old as the business.  He drove a truck back in the 60's and even back then when he was leaving CA and heading East, he would tie a box on the back of his trailer even if he had space inside so that when he passed another driver on the highway heading in, he would get on the CB and tell him that he was loaded so full, he had to swing a box on the back.

I can go on and give you countless examples but I will never understand it.  I witness similar stories in all areas and departments.  It happens in all businesses and personal relationships.

People have the desire and need to pull others around them down in order to try and build themselves up...why?

Just tell the truth...it's so much easier.

Do you have any examples or stories of this happening in your life?  Please share them in our comment section.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Checking out your blog and for me it's more about one uping the other guy it's competion to me,have the best looking truck,move more tonnage, and of course make the most money.faking a tail gate is just a way of starting trouble getting a guys blood pressure up.I'm sure it's different for other drivers,some its just a job,some could careless,some of us judge one another by type of truck, condition of equipment,And how we carry ourselves.I meet drivers everyday I have nothing in common with other than we both work for a van lines.for me it's pride and wanting to be the Big Dog on the porch!!!!

Anonymous said...

Why??? Well it is human nature to compete, tell tall tales so you look better in someone elses eyes.... Goes back to the beginning of time. Just like "fish tales" who caught the bigger fish? Driver's, packer's, loader's, they all boast about having the best paying load/equipment,or packing the most boxes in a day. What is wrong is when they want someone else to "cover for them/back them up with their fish story" that creates unnecessary havoc to others. Why? In order to make themselves feel better, look better. The moving aka people business is already a tough business to be in. Why make it more difficult than it need be for yourself or someone else? What happened to the brotherhood/sisterhood??

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, why?

Could it be to keep dispatch from having to explain why loads are distributed. Dispatch has to deal with drivers who provide lower quality, or have been in the wrong place at the wrong time all the time. Believe it or not, drivers are loyal to their dispatchers, and want to save them the hassle of having to explain themselves. I've been in trouble (when I was your driver) of bragging about my load. In your defense, some things are better left unsaid. I love the blog, keep it up.

Chris Ivy

Road Warrior said...

Been there,done that....I used to head up the Grapevine,EMPTY(headed to the bay,to load)with all my dollies tied on the back....Like to fool all those drivers on the downhill side about my brakes not holding...

Road Warrior said...

Another time I was parked at the truck stop waiting for a load,when I saw an Allied driver I got into the business,pulling from the fuel island....I got on the radio and called him by name,telling him to STOP....,I left my underwear in your truck(was a joke)he grabbed 6 gears leaving that place.

rkangl said...

well youguys will never hear me complain...dispatch keeps me loaded and rollin, coast to coast.
6 gears road warrior?? i would have been thru all 10 before i cleared the fuel island...snicker.

Anonymous said...

I like all the comments on the latest blog post. It's cool that everyone wanted to have their say. It's like that in teaching too; teachers will sort of brag about how bad their students are to seem more saint-like or something. In fact, that's usually the first thing people look at when we get our standardized test scores back; teachers will scan their list and start shaking their heads and pointing to how low their students' scores are, like they want to be known for having the hardest class

Road Warrior said...

Upon thinking this through,ALL the things we've done were just to poke fun,not to hurt anyone.The best policy is INYOURFACE honesty....Without HONESTY,there will be no more PRIDE.