Friday, June 12, 2020

Letter to grandkids

Hey there grandkids,
At the time of this post your ages are 12 years,old, 4 years old and 4 months old.
Today is June 12th, 2020-
First off I love you and enjoy each one of you and love seeing the world through your eyes and love your smiles and innocence of life in general, and I love watching your parents enjoy each day with you ! We are very lucky and surely blessed !
When you look back at the Trump years look at June 1st 2020 , the past 3 years has been such an eye opening experience for me and a very scary time.
I watched as people followed a man who’s only goal was to sow hate and divide, he rose to power because of so much unrest in our country, especially in the middle class and our leaders and politicians doing nothing to help address equal pay, health care, poverty and so much more that effects all of us. People were sick and tired of hearing the same old promises from our elected officials so they wanted to look outside the Washington Insiders- I get it - but they went for the PT Barnum of our time, the guy who had zero character or substance- that is what scared me.
He has done and said so many reckless things through the years I will leave it to you to research them all, everything from mocking the disabled to dishonoring war hero’s and veterans but on June 1st 2020 I witnessed “live” what a dictator does ! There was a peaceful protest in front of the White House and at around 6:15 that night it started to turn ugly and here’s the thing he wanted us to see it , he had called for a speech in the Rose Garden for 6:30 so the cameras and the media were all there.
At around 6:15-6:30 the military and the police shot tear gas and rubber bullets into a peaceful crowd , people were running and screaming and all because Trump wanted to take a walk down the street for a silly photo op in front of a church.
This was chilling to me because this country was founded on freedom of speech and everything this country stands for revolves around that , without our right to speak out and protest we are no longer a democracy.
These protest were about blacks being killed by police and pushing back on racism and hate and equal rights, there were some unruly protest in previous nights but this was a peaceful protest.
I watched it all unfold before my eyes and to me it was the moment that will stand out to me because millions saw the same thing and those that still followed this guy seemed ok with this whole scene and that is very very scary.
I asked those to just look at this one sliver of time and not spin it or discuss or debate anything else - just this one moment in time but his followers were ok with it.
That showed me just how dictators rise to power elsewhere.
As I write this I am certainly hoping that in our elections in November 2020 we can once again get back on the road of a democracy but also hold our elected officials to action.
I was born in optimist and I do believe that everything does happen for a reason.
I leave you with this - do not ever become sheep- do not follow others - make up of your minds, ask questions and always follow your heart.
We are only visiting this planet for a very short time so do not spend it hating others, hate will weigh you down and you will never truly find happiness.


No comments: