Monday, June 3, 2013

Who Can Be a Mentor ?

Who Can Be a Mentor?

This story helps answer that question:
“Once, a man was so busy building his house that he didn’t have any time to plant trees. When he finished the house, he became occupied with his job and couldn’t take time away to plant trees. He met a woman at work; they married and had a daughter. His life became so busy with his family that he didn’t have time to plant any trees.
One summer day he was outside playing in his backyard with his daughter; the bright sun was making them both very hot.
Daddy,’ she said, looking up with her hand on her forehead to shade her eyes. ‘Why don’t we have any trees in our yard?
He thought about what his daughter asked and replied, ‘I guess I was always too busy to plant any trees. I’m sorry I didn’t plant any when I built the house. It’s too late now. Even the fastest-growing trees would take at least five years to reach a height that would give us shade.’
To which his daughter replied, ‘Daddy, in five years I will only be eleven years old. I’ll still want to play in the backyard with you then, and I’ll still want shade from the trees then. So you’re right, the best time to plant trees would have been when you built the house; but the second best time to plant those trees is right now.’”
In this story, the mentor is the five-year old daughter who teaches her father that it’s never too late to make the right choice
Anyone can be a mentor if they are willing to pass on what they have learned

No comments: