Friday, May 20, 2011

Breathe...

We all live in a world where stress happens. The moving business is certainly no exception. Since we are such a seasonal business, these are the months that we can all get stressed out and because of that, we may not handle situations to the best of our ability.  Just remember to...

Breathe

I know that it is easier said then done at times, but for example, when you answer the phone and the person on the other end is upset or concerned, they have a tendency to speak fast and possibly loud. Our goal is to always be conscious of that, let them talk themselves out and just listen. Try not to join in with the same temperament and rushed speech.

When your next problem call comes in, take notice of how your body tenses up and try to control it and relax. Start at your toes and work your way up to your shoulders, take a big breathe and exhale.  Those that take yoga or pilates know that learning to breathe and relaxing your body is key.

Short story on breathing exercises:

My wife and I took birthing classes for our first born, which was 28 years ago.  A big part of the classes was for the partner (me) to help the one giving birth (my wife) by controlling their breathing and to focus.

I, of course, thought it to be a huge waste of time.  After all, I knew how to breathe...so I never practiced.

Fast forward to the blessed event.  I'm standing in the hospital room by my wife holding her hand and the labor pains begin. She begins to breathe faster and out of control and I'm now in her face pretty much mimicking her, breathing just as fast.

Now, we are both breathing like an out of control locomotive when the nurse walks in and sees that I am turning white and my wife does not look good either.  She immediately stands between us and tells me to sit down and put my head between my knees.  Then, she takes turns helping the two of us by slowing us down. 

"Breathe Mr. Vieira...breathe Mrs. Vieira...

She also showed us by taking big breaths and big exhales.  My wife is the one giving birth and I'm passing out.

Big help I was.

Happy ending though!  My wife gave birth soon after to our beautiful daughter, Jillian.


Moral of the story:  BREATHE!

Do not mimic, imitate or join the other person who is hyperventilating...just help control the situation.

No comments: