Monday, August 29, 2011

Mentor Somebody

We all have had a person or person(s) in our lives that believed in us, helped us, gave a chance or an opportunity.

Return the favor...pay it forward...BE A MENTOR TO SOMEBODY!

Care enough to want to help. There is no bigger satisfaction in life then knowing that you made a difference in someone's life.

As I said in my last blog about how to get ahead, I worked my way up in every job but I had people that gave me the opportunity...who helped teach me, either by example or instructions.

When you are a young person especially you are looking for direction, for someone to believe enough in you to help set goals for you and then show you how you can achieve them.

Ultimately, it will be up to you rather if you succeed or not but knowing that you have someone's support can give you enough confidence to want to do more.

I was lucky enough to have three mentors in my life. At a very early age of 11, I joined Scouting and there was a Scoutmaster that took interest in me and gave me the confidence I needed to grow into a leader.  Later, as a young teenager, my manager in the retail store that I was a stockboy for also helped me and gave me opportunities to grow and join the management team.  Last, but certainly not least, was Paul Arpin.  Paul showed me every day by his example what true work ethic is all about.

Paul loved to mentor drivers to develop into agency owners.  He would literally spend hours on the phone, seven days a week helping and suggesting.  He was there from the very beginning and then every day after.  If Paul Arpin knew you wanted to make it work and you were wiling to put the hours in, then so was he. You would have no better ally then Paul. He cared enough to want to mentor...so should you.

Help in the community, your church or parish, a boys or girls club.  Ask about being a Big Brother or Sister or step up in your work place.  Take a minute to help the person sitting next to you or in the next department.
If you have a young man who is helping on the trucks and wants to work, give him direction, a goal.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

No comments: